Gorgeous fall foliage from Michigan, October 2014, courtesy Flickr Creative Commons 2.0
Christmas may be coming to your thoughts more and more often now. Today is exactly 2 months until Christmas! And while you really don’t need to be thinking about it a lot, if you find yourself itching to get started on preparations, here are 5 things you can do to prepare for Christmas now that will make it much easier (read less stressful) when the time to celebrate comes.
1) Get rid of some clutter. Now is the perfect time to go through clothes, pare down decorative items, and clear out things you just aren’t using anymore. Decluttering will make things simpler when it comes time to put up the tree and Christmas decorations.
2) Go through kids’ rooms. If your kids are like mine, they have too much of everything. Too many toys, too many clothes, and so many accessories and trinkets that I wonder where they all came from. October is a great time to do a good room clean out, which will make room for the new stuff they will receive in a few months.
3) Decide how much to spend. Making a Christmas spending budget now has some advantages, if it doesn’t cause you stress. Knowing how much you have to work with will leave you well equipped to make good decisions when you do your shopping.
4) Make a list of people you want to give gifts to. Also, list how much you would like to spend on each person. Don’t forget to write down any gifts you might have already purchased at sales during the year.
5) Plan your baking. You don’t have to plan your baking this early, but doing so can help you find the best prices on the ingredients you will need, as well as being able to plan ahead so that everything gets done on time. That being said, I encourage you to keep it simple. If you don’t have time to do a lot, don’t! The stores are full of goodies, and everyone will enjoy them whether you make them homemade or not. Participating in a cookie swap is another great way to get a variety of goodies even though you just baked one thing.
So if you just can’t hold back the urge to get started on Christmas, here are some things you can do to be more prepared later. However, feel free to blow off this list and just keep on enjoying fall for now! Feel free to post in the comments your own best pre-planning tips or anything that helps keep your stress levels down in regards to Christmas!